Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Cadence and the Rhythm of Creativity

It is interesting to photograph your art process in stages. On the left is my completed mixed media collage, and on the right you can see where I started.
The finished 24x18 painting I titled "Cadence" because of the rhythmic pattern of darks and lights, and  the syncopation of the overlapping, textural areas. Creating a tempo, a pulse, a modulation of visual notes is a valuable solution for resolving collaged material.
My titles are not random; they reflect bigger ideas I contemplate. Having just completed Leslie Saeta's "30 Paintings in 30 Days Art Challenge", I  developed a momentum of focused studio time, and during these 30 days, I noticed my "cadence"of enthusiasm. Sometimes I was eager to work, but toward the end, I was feeling time pressured and resistant. However, because I stayed with it, working through my resistance, I was rewarded with new insights, powerful mistakes, and lots of satisfaction for not quitting.

Accepting our fluctuating mental attitude is helpful...knowing "this too shall pass", keeps us from deeper self recrimination. You must trust that if you "show up", the experience will be beneficial, even if it seems that you had a long, hard day of wasting art materials. Some of the art I completed, knocked me out...I was in love with it. Most of what I did was just okay and I had a couple days of making nothing I could live with. Reflecting on my experience, this quote from Art and Fear, makes perfect sense! "The function of the overwhelming majority of your artwork is simply to teach you how to make the small fraction of your artwork that soars."
 

No comments:

Post a Comment